Wednesday/Thursday, October 15 & 16.
Wednesday was very busy doing research and working on new curriculum for Dana Leong Trio the new focus work for the McCallum.
After the conversation with CTFD a few days ago, I've been looking at all types of schools for Masters programs, online, close by, life credits, grants and scholarships. In the research, I reached out to North America Drama Associate with online questions. They got back to me within 10 minutes. What?! And such an inspired conversation with Mimi Savage, MS/RDT out of LA. Her track is pretty paralleled to mine, single mom, actress for many years, teaching artist in public schools, wanting to get more out of her talents rather than letting others take the goodness and we be the schleppers. So, she got her MA and then onto Registered Drama Therapist. This job description allows the practitioner into schools, clinics, hospitals, rehab centers, prisons, private practice, group therapies, etc and using drama and dramatic techniques to get to the heart of the problem... usually quicker, with more clarity, ownership and no drugs.
Anyway, she's encouraging me to try and get to their annual conference last of October. One of the presenters is Robert Landy, PhD, RDT/LDT who heads up the program at NYU. I had a meeting with him years ago after hearing him speak at an Educational Roundtable for NYCDOE and he totally captured me in what he said and the potential of what the work does. So, I MAY rent a car, drive up there for Thursday for the pre-conference 9am-8:30pm series. Got to see if there''s room... Mimi said she'd be there and love to introduce me to anyone and help guide me through the day. If I can't make it, there's a smaller conference only for Souther California RDT in January. Either way, this looks good and I'm excited about checking it out.
Today was last day at Cahuilla Elementary teaching to Walking The Tightrope. All classes were just brilliant! The kids had beautiful and clear memories of what they saw and how it connected with what we did in the classroom. Much of the discussion was profound and concentrated with a few being super silly. One student who wasn't on his ADD meds was acting out terribly. But, when I asked a very pointed question about the role of the actor who breaks the 4th wall using illeism, he blurted out 'HE BECAME THE NARRATOR!". Wow. Ya just never know.
:)
One of the students wanted a selfie at lunch:
and the playground has a certain romance!
The entrance has a bit of inspiration attached!



No comments:
Post a Comment